A Joyful Army of Six

We are Brian and Cara Bergeron. We currently live, homeschool, work, and play soccer in beautiful Southcentral Oregon. We are children of God, children of two marvelous sets of parents who are still happily married, children of the '80s, children who fell in love when we were but children, children who have inherited four unexpected and undeserved blessings from the Lord--Brandt, Gresham, Seth, and Evangeline. Together we are (as Eva will tell you with a shout) "in the Lord's army. Lethirrrr!"

Friday, October 24, 2008

For Classical Homeschoolers: A Laugh

I absolutely had to share this hysterical moment with you. Perhaps it was the hour of the day and the fact that we’d been doing IEW for at least 90 minutes—but I laughed so hard I nearly cried.

A teeny bit of history: we’ve been looking at Latin derivatives and were discussing, just this week, that the most proper meaning for the word “vulgar” is the definition “common.” I think I probably did explain that it has come to mean “offensive, indecent, risque, etc.”--unfortunately a biting commentary upon American “common” culture. Nevertheless, I wanted them to understand that the word comes from the Latin word “vulgus”--for “common people.”

Given that history, the next part might now be funny to you: Brandt and I were working to finish his second paragraph for “Houses in Colonial America,” his Essentials oral report/writing assignment for this week and the next. He had written most of the sentence but needed my help finishing it.

“Rooms in colonial homes often served a dual purpose; when the colonists put their rooms ‘to rest’ by moving all of the furniture to the walls, then they could use them . . .”

I was playing teacher, trying to draw out some ideas: “Brandt, what types of things did the colonists do after they’d put their rooms ‘to rest?’”

Brandt: “Uh . . . Normal things?”

Me: “Like?”

Brandt: “by moving all of the furniture to the walls, then they could use them . . . for vulgar purposes.”

Perhaps the funniest part was the bewildered look on his face when I began to chuckle and then giggle and then choke with laughter. I’ll leave the funny rating to you. If you’ve had a long week of schooling—or if you are a grandparent who, by definition, thinks that everything is adorable, I hope it makes you smile!

3 Comments:

Blogger Ralph S said...

Yeah, that's a good one. It shows your children have not been exposed to the "vulgar" culture of today's America and that is a credit to you.
Uncle R

9:44 AM  
Blogger Tonya said...

Love it!!!

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cara! This made me laugh so hard. I have been behind reading your blog and just came to it tonight to catch up a bit.

I can picture Brandt's expression when you attempted to hold in the laughter!

Love you!

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home