A Joyful Army of Six

We are Brian and Cara Bergeron. We currently live, homeschool, work, and play soccer in beautiful Southcentral Oregon. We are children of God, children of two marvelous sets of parents who are still happily married, children of the '80s, children who fell in love when we were but children, children who have inherited four unexpected and undeserved blessings from the Lord--Brandt, Gresham, Seth, and Evangeline. Together we are (as Eva will tell you with a shout) "in the Lord's army. Lethirrrr!"

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

In Memory of Troy

Troy no longer lives on this earth. I say this to make myself believe it even now--after three long days. He died flying his F-16 near a group of insurgents in Baghdad. Our U.S. ground forces were surrounded by enemies. F-16s were called in to strafe the area at low level. Somehow, in the middle of the fray, Troy's jet crashed and Troy passed from this life into his Father's arms. I still cry as I read these words--as though they are brand new to me--as though I haven't repeated them to myself twenty times a day.

O come, thou Dayspring from on high,
And cheer us by thy drawing nigh;
Disperse the gloomy clouds of night,
And death's dark shadows put to flight.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.

It is to us that the gloomy clouds of night are left. It is to Brian, who silently mourns the loss of a friend who was, essentially, a brother. And, most harmfully, to Ginger, his faithful and capable wife. And to his sons Boston and Greyson. And to his daughters Isabella, Annaliese, and Aspen who will not remember their Daddy well enough. And to countless friends and fellow pilots. And to me. It is to us that the days seem dark and the nights seem long without our friend. It is to us that death's dark shadows all but drown out the memories of Troy's amazing chicken fried steak, his booming laughter, his copious hugs that flew so naturally from his Texas arms, his love of wrestling with his boys and ours. It is to us that the gloomy clouds of night encroach upon our knowledge of him as a hero, an unfailing friend, a romantic husband, and a passionate father.

But Troy, who once told us that he prayed Psalm 144 before he flew, knew that "Man is like a breath; His days are like a passing shadow." He knew the risks and he was willing to pay the price because he knew that the Lord has numbered all our days. The enemies have stolen his body but Jesus was 2000 years quicker on the uptake. He said "Do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father's will. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear, therefore, you are of more value than many sparrows" Matthew 10:28-31. Troy confessed his Heavenly Father before men and now his Savior is confessing Troy before his Heavenly Father.

Someday soon the Lord will speak peace to us as well--even here in this postmodern life and on this groaning earth--just as He did 2000 years ago. Isaiah 51:12 "I, even I, am He who comforts you. Who are you that you should be afraid of a man who will die, and of the son of a man who will be made like grass?" We are not afraid. We will soon rejoice. The Dayspring from on High will, one morning, awaken us with joy. Emmanuel will come to us. Oh Lord, we believe. Help thou our unbelief!

9 Comments:

Blogger Josh said...

Thank you for your beautiful words. Troy was a wonderful person and definitely had the right stuff. Ginger and her family are in our prayers constantly.

Josh

5:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Troy must have been a fabulous man. I know Ginger and the children will one day cherish this tribute you've written. Oh, how my heart breaks for them! This is going to be a long, hard, road, and I know God will use your entire joyful army to minister to them. Love you lots :)

6:38 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Cara, we are praying for Ginger and her children, and for you. Thank you for such God glorifying words in tribute of your friend. Death has such a way of making us long for heaven.

9:38 PM  
Blogger lords and ladies said...

Caroline just asked me this morning in the midst of my tears after hearing this news, "How do you trust in God, mommy?" I did not have to think long because I know our God and Ginger's God. If you know Him, Caroline, you will trust Him. Our hearts ache for Ginger and her children. Our prayers will be offered up daily for her. Please tell her one more believer is praying for her.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I don't know the Gilberts, but have read of them many times in your wonderful letters. I know that Ginger and their children will need your friendship in the coming days and months and will treasure the beautiful words that you have written about their husband and father. Thank you for using your gift in this way. We'll be praying.

9:56 AM  
Blogger emily said...

i will be praying for your and ginger's families as you strive to help her through this time. i was singing "be still my soul" as i was rocking caroline today, and i couldn't help but think of you. what wonderful words to remind us of God's sovereignty in the midst of such heartache.

9:36 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Cara,
I can't find your phone number or e-mail (I'm at my parents' house), but wanted to talk to you about the service on Wednesday. I'm going to try to make it, but not sure I can. Can you e-mail me at jaburgess2000@msn.com and let me know your phone number so I can call you? Thanks a bunch -- Amy B.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Kirk Wimberley said...

Thank you for your wonderful posting dedicated to Troy. He was a man I highly respected and looked up to during our time in Wichita Falls. We are committed to praying for Ginger and her family on a daily basis.

11:45 PM  
Blogger Tim Etherington said...

Brian and Cara,
I'm speechless. This was a sad morning for our family because a friend's baby who was born at 23 weeks and survived outside his mommy for 41 days died early this morning. For some reason, your family was on my mind, and I came to read your blog. What an encouragement for my girls and I to read this post. I'm so sorry for the family, and to your family as well. You've lost a friend and brother. I'm wondering if this is the same Ginger I've been praying for? I'm glad that Jesus gave your family to her to hold her hand through these next years after the crowds disperse and the children need to hear memories of their father in years to come.

As God gives you memories, write them down for his children. I love you and miss you guys.

Lisa for all

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home