A Joyful Army of Six

We are Brian and Cara Bergeron. We currently live, homeschool, work, and play soccer in beautiful Southcentral Oregon. We are children of God, children of two marvelous sets of parents who are still happily married, children of the '80s, children who fell in love when we were but children, children who have inherited four unexpected and undeserved blessings from the Lord--Brandt, Gresham, Seth, and Evangeline. Together we are (as Eva will tell you with a shout) "in the Lord's army. Lethirrrr!"

Thursday, February 26, 2009

A Temporal Blessing


This is a recent essay by Brandt, commemorating our First Amendment freedom of religion, given in the Bill of Rights. We're studying American history this year. It was a gratifying moment to see Brandt's knowledge of history, government, and his testimony of faith merge together. He's obviously listening and observing our lives all the time. What a humbling thought!

A Temporal Blessing
By Brandt Bergeron


During a 2007 survey, 42% of all Americans claimed to be “born-again” Christians. Of that dwindling number, a whopping 37% firmly stated that their personal belief was that their good works could get them into heaven (Barna Research Group)! Correspondingly, the First Amendment of the Bill of Rights grants Americans freedom the practice their unorthodox faith freely. Yet, according to the Bible, what is true religion?

I believe in a triune and perfect God, who created the universe. By his sovereign grace, He ordained that I would be His joyful servant. I believe that the three persons of this everlasting godhead, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, exist in unchangeable unity of relationship. I hold it to be true that They desire to bring people into this relationship. I must praise God every moment of my life, because He commands, desires and owns this praise, for He created me. Because my praise is imperfect, by faith alone I must trust that Jesus makes the way for God to accept my worship. I pray each day to Jesus, who sacrificed His body for me on the cross like a meek lamb. I read the Bible, God’s holy word. I make it my aim not to be oppressed by servile trepidation of the Lord. On the contrary, I should bear nothing but filial affection and fear toward my Heavenly Father. God’s grace moves through me to bless others. His grace abounds incessantly. By dying on the cross, Jesus redeemed me from slavery to sin, in order to bring me and other sinners into eternal blessing. Undeniably, one of the temporal blessings He has given me, as an American, is my First Amendment freedom of faith. The numbers fight against biblical Christians. In fact, the whole world is licking its chops trying to catch Christians off-guard. However, “If God is for us, who can be against us?” (Romans 8:31)

3 Comments:

Blogger Ralph S said...

A thrilling testimony from 11 year old Brandt. We pray that he will perservere his entire life to God's glory.

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - beautiful work God is doing in Brandt!!

11:13 AM  
Blogger Jana said...

1461 Pamela Court
Templeton, CA 93465

I was wondering where you disappeared to!

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home